Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Test Kitchen: How To Make "Explosive Showerhead Cleaner"

My quest continues now that I have become obsessed with the idea of homemade remedies for little money. A household problem I have that impacts quite a few people in Las Vegas is hard water stains.  My shower head is big and constantly afflicted with hard water stains.

Enter the Frugally Sustainable website I located via Pinterest.  An easy recipe for removing hard water stains from your shower head.  How could I pass on testing this one out?

Recipe Directions are listed below from the website (http://frugallysustainable.com/2011/11/explosive-showerhead-cleaner/).

1/3 cup Baking Soda
1 Cup White Vinegar
1 large, plastic bag
Twist Tie

"1. Mix baking soda and vinegar in bag over a sink. Caution: Pour vinegar into bag slowly, there is an “explosive” foaming action that kicks in.
2. Place bag over showerhead. Be sure it is submerged in the baking soda/vinegar solution.
3. Secure with twisty tie.
4. Let the showerhead soak in the solution overnight or for at least 2-3 hours.
5. Wipe off showerhead prior to use."
 
Keep in mind, my shower head is large.  I tripled the solution above.  Then the bag was a little too heavy for my twist tie to hold.  I used painters tape since I have so much of it from all of the paint projects.
 
Dark Shower head and Hard Water is not a good combination.
As you can see above, my shower head was not completely submerged in the baking soda portion.  Maybe taping it up higher would have worked better?
 

I call this a 90% improvement.  Even dry the hard water stains are almost gone.  I did the soak for about 3 hours.  I plan on doing this simple trick again in a few months.  Notes to self: get the shower head more submerged into the baking soda portion and soak overnight as indicated in directions.

I am a fan of this one and the other items on the blog.  So much so, I added the Frugally Sustainable Blog link to my page.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment