Monday, June 4, 2012

Test Kitchen: Testing "Baking Soda as Silver Polish"

In continuation of my science projects in the home, I decided I wanted to try an easy solution for bringing life back to silver.  I recently made a $1 purchase of a silver tray, I am going to give to my mom in setting up a tray decor design in her kitchen.  I hope she likes the idea.

The silver tray has nice details on it and I wanted to bring it back to life and shine it up a bit.  I found an article at RealSimple.com (http://www.realsimple.com/new-uses-for-old-things/new-uses-cleaning/print-index.html) that seemed to be the answer.

Before
Using Baking Soda, salt and water I completed the directions listed in the article:

"To polish silver: Wash items, then place on aluminum foil in the bottom of a pot. Add a baking-soda solution (¼ cup soda, a few teaspoons salt, 1 quart boiling water) and cover for a few seconds."

During
After
This was working really well.  I could already see a difference in the cleanliness of the silver tray.

I went back to take another look about an hour later and this is what I found.

A bit filmy?
I think there is a step missing in getting rid of the filminess.  I will work on cleaning this further with plain soap and water and see what happens.  Right now...I call this one...half successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment