Monday, May 21, 2012

Building a Frame Out of Chair Railing

I have a beautiful Klimt "Kiss" oil painting.  A reproduction, of course.  It will work beautifully with the color scheme downstairs.  My Grandma told me when I first moved in that it was too intimate to put downstairs, so I have had it in my bedroom.

Back to the idea of my own rules.  The painting is moving downstairs.  I love it with the color scheme downstairs.  I have talked to my G-ma again and she states she does not recall ever saying that and has proceeded in trying to locate more Klimt reproductions to marry with the "Kiss".

The Kiss by Klimt before the frame is created
My reproduction has some white appearing at the top and since it is being placed in my more elegantly styled downstairs, I decided it needed a frame.  So, as usual I went snooping on the Internet for a 3' by 4' frame to encase my painting.  The frames I liked were a bit more than my wallet liked.  I got to thinking something could be created.  After wandering around Home Depot, I spoke with my very crafty mother and she thought of moulding.  In the moulding area of Home Depot, I located chair railing.  Bingo!

Chair Railing with some nice detailing to keep with an elegant look.
I love some spray paint.  I bought some chair railing for $20 and Hammered Copper Spray Paint for $12.  A wood chisel was also purchased for $8.  I spray painted the two chair rails with the Copper making sure I did clean sweeps when spray painting so I would not get drops or weird blobs.  The nice thing about using spray paint with texture is that you have room for error.

Hammered Copper Spray Paint meets Pine Chair Railing.
The wood chisel allows you to chisel away any additional ledge you may need on the back to fit the picture (and cover the white space in my case). 

Measure width by length for the chair railing.
After allowing the paint to dry and chiseling the ledge, you need to measure the angles (45 degrees).  A miter box (about $10) can be used to cut the angles.  Wood glue the corners together on the painting and attach clamps to allow the glue to dry.

Here is my framed oil painting.
Copper wire and screws (on the upper portion of the frame - far right and left) were used to hang the painting.  This was all purchased at Home Depot for about $5.  At the end of the day, I spent about $155 on this piece.  The piece itself was about $100 at an oil reproduction shop a couple years ago.

I am still debating on adding black, iron corner pieces.  What do you think?  I also think a mate may be better in this space.  The Kiss is center with the living room start but not the windows.  I may be nit picky, but I think this may clarify the space and make a bit more sense with the space available.  Still debating.  This is an ongoing process and my addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment